523rd Field Artillery Missile Battalion
This Battalion was constituted in the Regular Army on 1 October 1933 as the 2nd Field Artillery Observation Battalion. It was activated 1 June 1940 at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. The 2nd Field Artillery Observation Battalion served in Italy, France, and Germany during World War II. After being awarded the Naples-Foggia, Rome-Arno, Southern France (with arrowhead), Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe Campaign Streamers, the battalion returned to the states and was inactivated on 25 December 1945 at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia. For its service in Italy, Battery “A” is entitled to a campaign silver band inscribed “World War II EAME [European-African-Middle Eastern Theater]” – ANZIO.
On 5 February 1945, the battalion was redesignated as the 523rd Field Artillery Observation Battalion and on 30 August 1955, it was redesignated the 523rd Field Artillery Missile Battalion and activated on 1 September 1955 at Fort Bliss, Texas. Since then, the battalion has been providing surface-to-surface guided missile support to the United States Army Artillery Board and equipment for the Annual Service Practice.
The motto of the 2nd Field Artillery Observation Battalion was “We Find Them” and its crest was an owl holding a lightning flash and string trace. Desiring a motto and crest applicable to guided missiles and signifying the mission of the battalion, a request was made to the Heraldic Branch to change the existing crest. The approved crest is now in use and signifies the timely, accurate, and destructive fire of this missile battalion- a sun dial and a Corporal missile. Our motto is “DIAL FOR DESTRUCTION.”